Legal Bank Account Searches & Judgments

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAx1

I won a judgment for Collection of a Debt in CA (district court of defendants' residences).

My attorney has advised me that it is not legal to do searches for bank accounts (I want funds seized with a Writ).

Yet, private investigators claim that bank account searches are in fact legal. And numerous PIs advertise on the Web to do these searches.

My reading of FCRA/FDCPA and banking laws (GLB) is that this should be legal, given that I have a judgment, can furnish Abstract of Judgment, etc.

Can anyone give me an answer for CA collections, or refer me to a link where I can research this?

Thank you in advance.

Yes it is legal, you have to file garnishment papers w. the court and have them served to the bank, however you must do this every time-- if you already know where they are banking it will be much easier and cheaper then garnishing every bank out there-- because there is a fee to the bank and a fee to the court and the constable bill too. If you know where they work this will be cheaper too, as you only have to do it once

Thank You!

Can you provide a link to site/reference with info regarding judgments, collections, legal bank account searches? I keep digging, and come up empty.

(Have seen many 'no deceptive' Collector practices references. Have references to bank compliance with Court orders. Seen suggestions on writing a check to debtors to get bank info- not an option. Dumpster diving not an option :) )

My objectives are:
1- seize largest account before liquid assets get moved
2- avoid getting sued back

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

google small claims in california-- there is a bunch of links there --

If you dont know where they hold the $$ I dont know of any easy ways to locate it-- I have judgements and sometime I get stuck w. them because I have not been able to locate any assets-- you can file a order to show cause-- and have them come into court under oath and tell you where they are banking

"If you dont know where they hold the $$ I dont know of any easy ways to locate it"

That's why I was asking the question about PI's and bank account searches. This is an unlimited civil suit, not small claims, and worth the $$ for a PI, if it's a legitimate course of action.

Then I would hire a PI, if the money is there then there is no reason not too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back