Barking dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy1000

I have a neighbor that owns a few dogs. One of his dogs comes out in the middle of the night and will bark off and on from about 1 - 4 in the morning. Animal control and noise abatement have said it's best to try to talk to your neighbor and work things out together. I've tried 4 times to resolve the matter and have rang their doorbell twice in the middle of the night in my pajamas and asked them to bring in their dog. Two days ago they asked me to come over in the day time to talk to them, Im thinkg ," Great we're going to resolve this." So I went over to their house after work and the owner of the dog said, " If you come over here again, I'll get a gun, stick it in your face and blow your head off."

The sherrif said it was a conditional threat so there is no crime in what he said but I still haven't resolved the barking dog issue.

I live in CA.

Call animal control and noise abatement back and tell them exactly what you just posted. Ask them what alternatives can they offer you when it comes to putting an end to this issue. In the mean time, avoid all contact with the neighbor so this issue can be resolved objectively.

Last edited:
Let me tell you from my experience what I did in this type of situation. My neighbors put in a pool a few summers ago and they have a Pit Bull. Once he lost most of his yard that he would play in to a pool he was very unhappy, that paired with the fact that my neighbors are NEVER home really ticked him off. He would howl in the middle of the night non-stop and he loved to do it on the side of their house that also faced my bedroom.

I'm a pretty light sleeper and it got to the point that not only myself but the neighbor behind my house went over and complained to my neighbor about the dog. First they flat out denied even having one (even though the dog was right behind them...duh). Then I sent a letter via certified mail asking the neighbor to please control the dogs howling. I mentioned the fact that the lack of sleep was affecting me during the day, I was in law school at the time and studying for the bar so this was a very important time in my life and it was very important for me to get the required sleep that I needed.

They finally responded and came to my house asking what I suggest they do. I am a dog lover, I have two of my own and I don't like the idea of shock collars so I told them to get the kind of collar that puts off an unpleasant noise that only dogs can hear or they can get the one that sprays citronella. I even went as far as to buy one for them.

The dog continued to howl and keep myself and the neighbors behind me awake. I went online to the website for my city and it allowed me to make a complaint about the dog howling, the neighbor behind me did the same thing. Once that was done animal control tried to contact them several times to serve them with paperwork stating they need to control the animal. Finally they filed a complaint with the court for us. We were ordered to appear in mediation. I showed up with the neighbor behind me and we sat with a mediator, we even had a recording that we took of the dog howling (it was NOT a pleasant noise, I almost would have preferred barking).

The mediator stated that he thought the dog had some sort of seperation anxiety and was upset because of the pool and most of his yard being taken away. He said they needed to take the dog to the vet, get some anti-anxiety meds for him and if there were anymore problems with the howling they needed to give us a number that we could call to advise them to bring the dog inside.

Guess what!? He hasn't howled since. I live in CA as well, hopefully your county/city is as agressive in resolving these situations as mine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back