Bank gave out information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jag96mom

I need to know who would responsible for this.
I was a signer on a church account, I was the only signer at the time the problem happened.
The treasurer of the church , but not on this account, went into the bank and obtained a copy of the records. She is trying to use this information to accuse me of wrong doings. She has told several members of the church who have nothing to do with the account, she had ruined my name without asking any questions to me or anyone else envolved with the account what was going on.
Now I know the person at the bank is in the worng but is the person who obtained the information? I need answers today by pm if possible, we are having a meeting to discuss this and I can't get anyone local to answer the question.
Thanks

The treasurer of the church likely has the authority to obtain any and all financial records that are the responsibility of the church. I doubt that the bank did anything wrong at all in giving out this information. Being a signer does NOT mean that no one else has a right to the information.

For instance, I am NOT a signer on two local non-profit boards, but I AM an officer of one and on the Board of Directors for both. I can access any and all financial records for both organizations even though I am not a signer to the account. That being said, I am in CA and we may have some slightly different laws in this regard than your un-named state. But, I doubt the bank committed any wrongdoing here.

Whether you have a claim for slander against the other party besmirching your name is something that will depend on what was said (and whether it rose to the level of slander or was just an opinion or observation) and how much damage it has done. You might have to speak to an attorney about that. But, if a reasonable inference of wrongdoing can be made from the information this person has, they are entitled to their opinion. To be slander it has to go beyond that.

- Carl

It is the church's account, not yours. Only the church would have a claim. As Treasurer she has the right to the records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back