Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass breaking and entering/ california

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharona3

I am going through a divorce. My ex threatened to kill me throughout our entire marriage. I reported this to the sheriff who told me to "document" it. They did nothing. My ex is a rich, powerful man. So, I did something stupid and went into his house to find documents on how he shifted $300,000 after our separation. He found out, reported it and now threatens to put me in jail if I don't divide assets the way he wants.

My question is this: how long does the police have to file something on me once they have obtained a search warrant?

Second: is there anything I can do about the death threats now?

Considering the evidence you aquired was done so illegally you cant use it. Far as the threats Police have already told you what to do

I am going through a divorce. My ex threatened to kill me throughout our entire marriage. I reported this to the sheriff who told me to "document" it. They did nothing.
What do you expect them to do? You say he threatened you, he says he didn't ... what are they supposed to do?

To be criminal, the threats generally have to be pretty unequivocal and immediate - they cannot usually be general. However, these incidents might hold more weight in Family Court when applying for a restraining order, so they might have some weight there.

So, I did something stupid and went into his house to find documents on how he shifted $300,000 after our separation. He found out, reported it and now threatens to put me in jail if I don't divide assets the way he wants.
HE doesn't make the decisions on who is prosecuted, the DA does. if the police or sheriff's department where he lives have not interviewed you, then he is probably bluffing about reporting it.

Did you take anything from the house? Do any damage? Or just wander around a bit? If you did not do anything, you likely committed trespassing and maybe vandalism - both generally are misdemeanors.

If you collected some "proof" of this transfer of funds, then he might be REAL hesitant to bring the matter up because you might be able to nail him with it in Family Court.

Hopefully you have an attorney to help you with this divorce.

My question is this: how long does the police have to file something on me once they have obtained a search warrant?
HAVE they obtained a search warrant? If so, they generally have ten days to serve it.

As for when they can commence a prosecution, the state will generally have one year to commence the prosecution for a misdemeanor and three years for a felony.

Second: is there anything I can do about the death threats now?
If they are old, just document them and use them at the divorce or for a restraining order. If all you have are your claims versus his, you can report them to the police, but don't count on anything getting done.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back