roommate evicted, does that break lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaska1986

Long story...:eek:

3 months ago my fiance's friend (almost not even) broke up with his girlfriend and begged us to move into the 3 bedroom house they had been renting. It was big and we're young so we thought sure why not. Me and the roommate signed a new lease, leaving my fiance out because he didnt have a job at that exact moment in time.

Well about the 1st week was great until we went grocery shopping and roommate didnt want to chip in but decided later hed eat whatever he wanted. We mentioned to him he needed to buy his own food but went on living anyway. Then he started going out drinking every night coming home at 2 or 3 in the morning slamming doors and turning up the music.

This went on about a week till rent was due and when the landlady stopped by i kind of vented to her about not realizing what i was getting myself into. I paid my rent on time but roommate didnt and i found out this had been a habit of his. Well late rent along with my complaints put the landlady in a sour mood towards roommate which i soon regretted. She started calling me almost everyday for updates on what roommate was doing, apparently a neighbor had also called her about the latenight noise.

In the beggining of the 3rd month and after some minor damage to the house roommate got a 14 day eviction notice. the landlady finally stopped calling me about him and just mentioned that me and my fiance needed to sign a new lease asap. We never did sign the new lease because of our conflicting schedules.

Then 14 days passed and roommate didnt move out, didnt move out the entire month in fact. At the end of the month the landlady tells me not to accept any money from him towards the rent but doesnt say anything else about it either, ive learned she likes to complain alot but doesnt like to accually DO anything about the situation.

My fiance and i were not pleased to hear we were supposed to pay the rent in full while roomamte stays for free and makes out life hell. Someone at work told me they thought that since landlady evicted roommate that violates terms of out 1 yr lease and so breaks the lease not only for him but me too cause im on it. I wasnt so sure but we really had no choice but to find somewhere else to live.

Found a place and ive signed a lease for them so no turning back, i called my landlady same day and told her i could pay for the place without roommate whos being evicted and cant live with him anyways. I also asked her if she'd let me pay to place an ad for the house to help find tenants to replace me as soon as possible. Shes always been sympathetic to me this whole time and told me she didnt want to put out an ad until the place is in better shape (most importantly roommates bedroom which sustaned minor damage during drunken rages).

Later that day she saw roommate outside the house and stopped to tell him she'd be changing the locks since im moving out and that he nedded his stuff out by then. He flew into one of his rages and yelled at her car as it drove away. She then called me and told me that he was acting violently and if he damaged the house then she would take me to court for the house damages as well as him and that she was too afraid that he would do her bodily harm to come to the house and make sure it was okay herself.

I was here and assured her that i was and if anything happened i'd call the police. That settled her down some but it got me worried that she would threaten me over things she knew he had done. I know im on the lease too but shes been fully aware the whole time of everything he did through me.

I guess my questions are Does the eviction though not followed through to the courts effect the lease? And was she allowed to tell me not to accept money from the other leasee? Finally i know that if im still responsible for the lease i will probably be brought into it but is she allowed to come at me with all the things she knows he did, or is that more of a thing to be decided in court? Should i be taking pictures of the house before i leave in case i need some kind of evidence of the damage to his room for later?

The only one evicted was troublesome roomate. The lease is still binding to the rest of you. Landlord wants new lease sign because current one has old roomate stil on it. "Your" lease is not broken and is still bindng

The lease i signed said i pay half he pays half for the 12months of the lease, it doesnt seem fair that she can kick him off it and tell me i have to pay in full now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back