Deceased mother's trust....unknown type

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggies

My mother died about 4 months ago in the state of WA. (I live in OH).

My mother had a trust....I do not know what kind of trust. But am certain I was named as a beneficiary.

My sister, and only sibling, lived in the same area as my mother. She was power of attorney for my mother, and also executor of her will. (Although I don't know if she had a will, since she had a trust.) Several months before my mother died, the trust was changed. My sister told my daughter it was to free more money for my mother's care. I have no copies of any paperwork regarding my mother's trust, nor do I know who her atty. was.

My daughter advised me to get an atty and try to compel my sister to send a copy of the trust, or any paperwork. Since my sister and I have not spoken for years, (she's not exactly a sweet personality) I doubt this would do any good. Can my sister 'sit on' the trust, and do nothing, even if I'm a named beneficiary?

Just wondering if there is anything I can do, or should I just forget it?

Thanks!

No way to really know. You can check the real estate records to see what property was transferred into the trust. I suspect your sister had the trust changed so she would get everything. If there is any property, follow your daughter's advice. If you wait, you lose.

Yes, I suspect that the trust was changed so my sister has complete control. There is no property....my mother had sold her home and moved into assisted living, then into a nursing facility. To the best of my knowledge, she only had a trust. There was also supposed to be a 'grandchildren's trust', but no clue what happened to that.

Anyway....thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back