works comp vs. unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

I injured in the office last year. Then, I got a surgery due to the injury. I got fired from work 14 months later and the reason my employer gave to me was "bad performance" evaluation even though I worked very hard according to any labor standards.

I have been claimed unemployment for past 4 months. However, my doctor has not release me from my injury yet. I still go to physical therapy twice a week. Some people include my doctor told me that I should claim works comp (pays 70% non-taxable income based on current year's income) instead claim unemployment (pays 60% taxable fed income based on last years' income). I really appreciate if I can get a professional advice regarding this matter.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
I am surprised to see why you didn't file workman's comp right after your injury. You need to discuss with a workman's compensation lawyer your options.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Presutin. I did not stop working after my injury until I had a sugrey. It was hard to find this job, and I could not afford to loss it. I took off about 3 months after surgrey due to the medical complication of the surgrey then went back to work. Work's comp paid all my medical bills, my physical therapies, and 70% of my salary during this 3 months. My employer fired me 2.5 months after I went back to work. I just don't know should I claim work's comp or unemployment benefit since my doctor has not release me yet. Obviously, economically work's comp is better, but I don't know if it is legally feasible. If yes, can I fix it after collecting unemployment for 4 months. I appreciate if you can give me some advices on this issue again.

Thank you so much Presutin. I did not stop working after my injury until I had a sugery. It was hard to find this job, and I could not afford to loss it. I took off about 3 months after surgery due to the medical complication of the surgery then went back to work. Work's comp paid all my medical bills, my physical therapies, and 70% of my salary during these 3 months. My employer fired me 2.5 months after I went back to work. I just don't know should I claim work's comp or unemployment benefit since my doctor has not release me yet. Obviously, economically work's comp is better, but I don't know if it is legally feasible. If yes, can I fix it after collecting unemployment for 4 months? I appreciate if you can give me some advices on this issue again.

Advice...

Thank you so much Presutin. I did not stop working after my injury until I had a sugery. It was hard to find this job, and I could not afford to loss it. I took off about 3 months after surgery due to the medical complication of the surgery then went back to work. Work's comp paid all my medical bills, my physical therapies, and 70% of my salary during these 3 months. My employer fired me 2.5 months after I went back to work. I just don't know should I claim work's comp or unemployment benefit since my doctor has not release me yet. Obviously, economically work's comp is better, but I don't know if it is legally feasible. If yes, can I fix it after collecting unemployment for 4 months? I appreciate if you can give me some advices on this issue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back