Replacement roommates already moving in/WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsetroommate

I have several issues to address with this thread.
First off I moved into a 4 bedroom duplex with my cousin, his two children and one dog. He had a falling out, so to say, with his fiance and they were separating. I moved 65 miles from my hometown and seeked employement here, I wanted his children to have a secure home to live in. It was agreed that bills would be split 50/50, even though I was one person out of the 4 occupying the residence. He stated in front of me and his mother don't worry about billing being paid on time, they always will be.

Here is a break down of everything paid out for the property.
Cable, public service and water bill put into both of our names I have perfect credit, him not the best.

Security deposit I paid in full for the house and the dog $500 each totaling $1000.00.
We moved in May 17th the landlords prorated May's rent it came to $565.00, I paid in full again.
June's rent 1195.00 I paid bill in full.
July's rent he paid me $600.00 in cash.
August's rent 1195.00 I paid in full.
Cable bill monthly was 86.60, I paid in full each month he owes half.
Public Service bill varied but I paid all months in full he has paid nothing.
Water bill is still out there they will be performing a final meter read for August 29th and forwarding the bill to my new address, he owes half of that bill.

All being said he has only paid me half of one month's rent since we moved in May 17th. Good thing I have a good job hey. :)

Now 3rd week of July rolls around and he tells me that he is getting back together with his fiance, I told him flat out she is not welcome to stay in my home. She ran around on him and they used to fight in front of the children, I wasn't allowing that to happen. I read my lease terms, it states that any persons staying at the property for more then seven nights, who are not listed as tenants, the tenants on the lease will be charge $200 per person per night, so I wasn't having that either.

He contacted my landlords about seeing if I could be replaced on the lease. A new lease agreement was signed for September 1st. My lease ends August 31st and I had signed a waiver for the landlords to release me. When I talked to them about the security deposits they told me that I would have to recover them from my roommate since the property wouldn't be vacant for inspection of damages, they will not return my money. Okay I will get it from him.

August 4th I gave my roommate an itemized list of everything that was paid out the full amount of the bill and his portion. Gave him a total figure, let him review it for questions, he had none and asked if he would be able to pay it by the end of the month. He said no problem. His final total was $2990.00 everything included.

Since August 4th he has been moving the new roommates belongings into the shared duplex that is still in my name until the 31st of August. He never asked for permission he just told me I am moving this stuff in here.

I know that if money isn't received on August 31st I will be taking him to small claims court.

DO I have the right to sue the new tenants for security deposits owed to me?

Do I have the right to charge a storage fee for all of the belongings that have been moved into my duplex this month?

Or do I have the right to sue the next tenants for rent money for August seeing as though most of their property is already in the duplex?

They have not stayed here any nights but already have beds set up in some rooms, furniture moved in, appliances, tv's everything except their physical bodies is here and maybe some clothing.

What are my options in small claims court?? Remember I paid everything with my personal checking account and have all of the bills. I also admitted to him paying me some cash, so I am not lying about any money owed to me or I could say he paid absolutely nothing.

The only option you have is to sue him for all the monies owed to you including your deposit you put down on the place-- but you cant get money out of the fiance because you dont have an agreement w. her

Thanks for the advice I wrote up a very wordy contract about everything that was owed to me itemized everything, included details about surrender of my key and garage door opener and condition upon my move-out was same as move-in that I created no damages, I also included in the contract the time frame that we agreed upon for return of the monies. He signed and dates on all dotted lines. If he doesn't hold up to the bargain it states right in the contract that I reserve all right to proceed for legal judement of any money still owed after due date. I also put in there payment must be accepted in form of money order or cashier's check no cash or personal checks would be accepted. I covered all basis so that if worse comes to worse I have a hands down win in small claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back