Oregon Medicaid wants my deceased mother's assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoe007

I'll be as concise as possible...

My mother, for whom I served as guardian and conservator, passed away in March of this year. About a week after her death I received a letter from Oregon Medicaid stating that they had a claim against her estate. Medicaid paid for one month's worth of rent at the assisted living facility before her death.

At the time of my mother's death, she had a bank account with about $750 and she held title to some scrub land in Texas which is worth $1500. My questions are as follows:

1. Is Medicaid actually entitled to her assets? They covered about $2700 in care.

2. If Medicaid is entitled to her assets, what do I do about the property in Texas? I already investigated the possibility of a title transfer and was told that attorneys would have to be involved and that the estimated attorneys fees would run around $3,000. No way is the family able to shell out that kind of money, let alone just so a government agency can take the property. If Oregon Medicaid wants to hash it out with the appropriate agencies in Texas, so be it.

3. Can Medicaid come after me or my wife at all, other than for the purpose of getting to my deceased mother's assets? I received no further correspondence from them after their initial letter.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Average_Joe_007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back