Landlord breaches contract/ new owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasaluki

I signed a lease with a place in Southern Illinois for $300 a month (it was a pod). This was near the end of the semester and the contract was from August 2008 to Aug-July 2009. Now it began August the 1st and I was home for the summer. I wasn't planning on moving in until near when school started which was the 16th. I called the 14th to confirm that everything was going smoothly and I was told that it was and I'd be staying in 8-A. Well when I got there, it was a complete disaster. I had been lied to all along the company that had originally owned the property must have just fled or something and another company was managing the property. Room 8-A literally had nothing in it even the carpet was torn clean off. The manager was a maintenance worker and had no idea what was going on but offered me a room on the third floor which still didn't have the provisions that were stipulated in the contract. The company that had bought the first property had a second property which had residents in it and when I confronted the Vice President with my lease the VP put me and my family in a terrible hotel room with no lights and then said that I could have the same deal in the contracts with the rooms that were there. Now admittedly these rooms are three times the size as the other ones, but when I was reading over the rental agreement I noticed that certain things were different.

Heres where I stand now.
The manager of the 1st property wants me to terminate my contract with the 1st property but I have refused because I haven't signed with the 2nd place yet and as long as I have the violated contract I feel I have leverage.
Also I paid a security deposit and 1-2 months rent when the other company had control of the 1st apartment, but now I'm worried it won't show up in computers. I need advice on what to do, as I can't stay at the 2nd apartment indefinitely without signing the lease, but should I renegotiate the contract for the second apartment? And how do I go about reclaiming my money that I had invested in the 1st property? What my plan is now is to see if I can renegotiate the contract with the 2nd and once I have a contract to then terminate the 1st. Is this advisable course of action?

Ah, housing in Southern Illinois. I'm assuming you're at Southern Illinois University. I went to the Carbondale campus; can still remember what was offered as housing even 30 years ago.

Why aren't you taking the deal with the second place? It's larger than the first and it does not appear that the first apartment is ready to be lived in. Sign the second lease; terminate the first.

This issue of reclaiming the money and security deposit from the 1st apartment MIGHT be sticky, although all deposits/paid rents should have transferred to the new management. Have you discussed this with them yet?

Gail

Ah, housing in Southern Illinois. I'm assuming you're at Southern Illinois University. I went to the Carbondale campus; can still remember what was offered as housing even 30 years ago.

Why aren't you taking the deal with the second place? It's larger than the first and it does not appear that the first apartment is ready to be lived in. Sign the second lease; terminate the first.

This issue of reclaiming the money and security deposit from the 1st apartment MIGHT be sticky, although all deposits/paid rents should have transferred to the new management. Have you discussed this with them yet?

Gail

Thank you for your advice. Yes I unfortunately am going to SIUC and I made a bad decision considering I'm from near Champaign, already have a Associates degree and could have gone to the U of I.

I am trying to sign with the second deal, but I wanted to renegotiate the contract. It seems like I'm going to be out $600 dollars ($300 for the security deposit/ 1 months rent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back