Hipaa violation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hddad

I was injured at work last week and had to go to the employer's clinic of choice and recieve 5 stitches. I was released to go back to work with a few minor restrictions. No problem.

Apx. 2 days later my whole accident is being relayed to the rest of the company via a computer screen in the main lunchroom.

Highlights of the video ( kinda in a cartoon setting with text much like some of the OHSA video's we used to see) were:

1. The machine I was running ( there were only 2 of us that run this machine within a 24hr period) So everybody pretty much knows who it is (ME!!!)
2. How many stitches I recieved and the location of them
3. The fact that I did not want to report the accident at first
4. How the accident happened
5. That I recieved a breathalyzer and urine test at the clinic (usual practice)
6. How I should of (insinuated) requested an 'authorized trash container'
instead of making one out of a box.

It had the usual what can we do to prevent this blah, blah, blah.
I told the manager who put it on the screen that I was offended by it and he basically could of cared less. I've worked at this company for over 15 years and I think I'm in good standing.

I'm a little hesitant to file a complaint due to my age (50+) but am curious to know is this legal to describe this accident and all the details for all to see?

We had a safety meeting the day after the accident and I had to tell what happened and all the particulars. That's how they knew what to put on the tv(computer) screen. Thanks

I don't see any legal violations of anything here.

Stand by for other opinions.

This is not a HIPAA violation. Information related to a workers comp claim is specifically and statutorially excluded from HIPAA.

Not having seen it, I can't tell if it's a good idea or a bad idea; a good safety tool or bad taste. But what it is not, is illegal

Not only it is not illegal but they can demonstrate your incident as an example of preventable safety violations. It is unfortunate that they decided to pick you as the example. Hope you have recovered from your injuries!

hippa violation ?

I appreciate all the feedback. The company is STILL playing the 'accident' on the screen and who knows when they will take it off.

My bruise is about half gone and my stitches come out Friday.

If I owned my own buisness and an employee was offended by something that I did, I would do my best to come to a win-win situation. Not so at my place of employment. It's a sign of the times. Get back to work !!!!!!!! hahahaha

Again, thanks for your time and valued comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back