Parental Rights/ West Virginia..please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcarr37

A friend of mine is 19 years old. She signed papers that temporary custody of her baby go to a relative. The reason she signed these papers is because when she was pregnant because she has had a couple of issues ,mental it was recommended that she do this. CPS talked to her and told her that this is what she needed to do, she has never harmed a child but she has cut herself(cutting) and she is mentally about 14. She loves her baby and so she could get things straightened out with her situation. She signed over temporary custody.
The persons she signed over custody to are relatives, they from the beginning did not have her best interest at heart. They had her go to court in Pajamas etc etc.. They are going to have her baby call them mom, they have not kept in contact with her nor has she been able to see her baby since court.

According to my friend, she did not get legal aid in court.( i would of thought that if she is mentally immature that the court would of appointed her an attorney but they did not. . she knows the father of the baby a boy who is 16 and she has been told that he needs to come up with $500 to pay for a DNA test which he does not have, so he will not have any legal rights to the baby.

My friend has come along way since the original court date about 6 weeks ago. She has another court date in September. She is now living with a relative, is on medication and has been going to counseling. The relative she is living with can get her on medical insurance as well as the baby if she gets the baby back.

My questions on this issue is
Should the court have given her legal representation given her mental status?

Since she only signed temporary custody, should she be able to get the baby back?

If not, Can she change her mind about her choice of the adoptive parents if that should arise ? The people who have her baby now, are not treating her like she is the birth mom. They want the baby for there own and do not want her to have anything to do with her own child. If she cannot get custody back , she would like to change the custody of the baby to someone in her family who would let the baby know who her mother is, allow her to visit and give her pictures etc of the baby and she would know and have rights to make decisions regarding her daughter...

Please any info would help... I have never been in this situation and do not know what to tell her. I would think that because she has done so much without being told to by the courts that they would look at this. I would think that because she is the birth mother she should be able to change her mind about who gets custody of the baby if she cannot get it back.. But i dont know what her rights are as far as this issue ?? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back