Unknowingly exposed to hazardous chemical on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKD1

I recently found out I have been working around a hazardous chemical called Glutaraldehyde, It is a low temperature sterilizer for medical equipment. I did not receive any training on the use or hazards of this chemical. I only found out about it through a new employee that mentioned she was surprised we still use it as it is very toxic and there are better alternatives. I read the label on the bottle and it mentions it should only be used with gown, gloves, face mask and recommends a respirator. It also states that it needs to be contained well and used only in a well ventilated area. I use it in a room the size of a walk in closet and the only ventilation is the air conditioner but provides little circulation because the doors remain closed except to enter and exit the room. I work eight hours a day in this room except breaks and some miscellaneous errands. I also was instructed that I only had to wear gloves when handling the chemical and it is kept in a container that is not even close to air tight. It's just a clear plastic lid with large holes on either side so the eye piece of the scope will stay unsubmerged. I have researched this a little and found some court decisions on the matter but all the examples I have found involved personnel that had been exposed to this chemical for many years and have had serious health issues as a result. While I have only been working with this chemical for three months now and have not noticed any adverse health effects(not that I know what to look for) it seems wrong to me that I have not been informed of the dangers and the hospital seems to not care. I would like to know if there any legal action I could take to get them to change there ways and recover any compensation for being exposed to a dangerous chemical unknowingly. I live and work in the United States in the state of Arizona if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ask to see if your employer has clean certifications (ISO, OSHA to name a few) If you employer does not have any of those, check to see if your employer has passed all state inspections and has been up to date with safety inspections as well. If you fear that your wellbeing is theatened, consider leaving this job since your health is more important than anything else out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back