Evicting a Boyfriend in Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

briann08

So my family bought a house about 4 years ago. Since then, my mom and her boyfriend have grown apart; rather, the boyfriend has become unbearable. They're disfunctional relationship is beginning to tear our family apart. He currently pays $900 a month and has been for the last 4 years. We would REALLY love to evict him from our home, but our attempts are denied because of the money he claims we owe him. We estimate that he has put down about $40,000 for the house in the years past, and he expects us to return that money to him in order for him to move out. Of course we don't have the money, and would have enough trouble covering the $900 he pays a month as it is. I was wondering if there was any possible way to get him to leave without selling the house? Or is there anyway we could lower the money due to him so that the amount is not so overwhelming?

I was thinking that since he pays $900/month, we wouldn't have to pay it all back to him because it would be like he lived the last 4 years of his life free of rent. Think that way, I was wondering if we could assume that he payed $600 a month for rent (which would be non-refundable) and his share of utilities and electricity. Would this logic work?

Also, additional information, the title is in the eldest daughter's name and there is no written agreements or contracts.

Thank you for any comments or words of wisdom. Please, anything helps at this point.

"My family bought a house about 4 years ago".

Who bought the house? Whose name is on the deed?

I'm assuming not the boyfriends. If yes, he is co-owner of the home. If no, he is considered a tenant, having paid rent for the past 4 years. He can't just be "thrown out"; you need to study the landlord tenant laws in your state in regards to formal eviction proceedings.

Typically evictions occur because the tenant fails to pay rent. That does not appear to be the case here it sounds as if he is up to date on his rent.

Gail

Gail is correct. If he is a tenant you need to follow your state's guidleines to remove him. the likely first action will be a "notice to vacate" this will be either 30 or 60 days pursant to your states laws. If he fails to leave then you can pursue eviction which is a court action.

The title of the house in my sisters name. I am the yougest son. The person we're are trying to evict is the my mom's boyfriend. Since my brother, sister, mom, and I are sharing the house with him, does this raise any issues? I don't think there are any written agreements between my family and my mom's boyfriend, just the verbal agreement for him to pay us $900/month.

With that being said, do you believe it is possible for us to count him as a tenant still and be able to evict him (with proper notice) and no having to return any of the money he has given to us each month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back