Other Immigration Law Adjustment of Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarhead

My girlfriend was brought to the US in the late eighties with her older sister and parents. Their visa(S) expired and they fell out of status. Since then she has been illegally living in the US as an undocumented immigrant. She is one semester shy off attaining her master's degree. She told me that she spoke to an immigration lawyer and that lawyer said there was absolutely nothing to do. What can I do to help her? How does she fall under an Adjustment of Status application? How would getting married affect any of this? I'm really worried and I think she is a little scared that I brought up some solutions to her. I could use some guidance or help on this one. Thank you very much... Also, how beneficial are those books that claim to give you all the instructions and forms on how to properly file for a green card? What is my/her next step?

If she spoke to an immigration attorney then chances are your second hand information here won't allow us to find a magical way to change his bad news. My suggestion is to get a second opinion from another immigration attorney.

With regard to getting married, typically I'm told that the easiest way to remedy the problem is to leave the US and get married in the illegal alien's country and then make an application for entry into the US. My understanding is that staying here and filing the application you would like is not easy. There is no magical solution that the books to file for a green card will provide - the problem is that she is not here legally.

I wish you the best of luck but I've given you what is probably the best place to get help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back