Unemployment Benefit & Overpayment

Status
Not open for further replies.

leglode

A quick background first (I will keep it very brief). I was working for a small family owned company for the past year and my responsibilities were quickly expanded (and increased salary) for the changes and management style I provided and reported directly to the owner. Unfortunately, the owner could not take a stand on changes that needed to be made to turn around his company. In March of 2008, during a video conf call, I decided I had enough and told him he should look for a replacement and gave notice of my intent to leave in July/August 2008. Right after that meeting, he called me not to do anything or talk to anyone until he had an opportunity to sit down with me. I had plan to visit the other office where he was located (South Bend about 2.5 hours drive) 10 days later for meeting with my staff so told him there was no need to come down due to the fact I would be up there in a few days. He mentionned he would not make the trip for me as he had other appointments to attend. He came down on a Thursday, right before Good Friday. We stat down and his opening sentence was: " you are right, this is not working for us and it is better if you leave" I asked him when, he replied" How about now" He gave me a few minutes to clean up my desk and I was out of the door. When mentioned this to other people, thy told me it looked like I was fired rather than me leaving. I decide to apply for unemployment. 2 weeks later, I received unemployment but also a letter that the owner was appealing the decision. I was on unemployment only 6 weeks as I found a job fast so I stopped my benefit. We had a phone hearing with an administrative law judge for which he was late. He sent documentation to the judge without sharing those with me. Also stated I resigned and he came down to accept my resignation. he told the judge he had a replacement on hand and did not need me to stay longer. his replacement was his son in law whom was reporting to me and for whom I requested the son in law to be a team lead and manage his team of 3 people.

At that time, the owner stated his son in law was too busy to manage 3 people. What surprised me is that now he was no longer busy to manage 16 people. He won the case. So I appealed the decision since after my departure, 6 other people were let go. The company is in financial difficulties.

The decision was: "The initial determination is reversed. The claimant did not voluntary leave his employment for good cause in connection with the work. the following penalties are imposed under chapter 15 section 1 of teh Act. The claimant's benefit rights are suspended effective week xx until the claimant has earned his weekly benefit amount in each of eight weeks.. the maximum benefit aount is reduced by 25%"of the I appeal that decision and sent the court a complete report of what happened with dates, names, times as well as name and email of those that were let go.

I called the court for an explanation of the decision and was told that I would not need to paid but had t be working 8 weeks to replenish the unemployment funds. However, a few days later, I received a notice of "potential Overpayment" and had to pay back all benefits.

What exactly the decision mean and do I have to pay the benefits back?

Thank you for your help and sorry for this long message

Why not call the court to ask what this means? From my understanding of the brief facts, the court found that you weren't laid off but voluntarily left your position. As such, the unemployment benefits paid to you should not have been paid to you so they are asking for them back. Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back