My wife received a summons for a debt she never incurred

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbod323

About a month ago we received a letter from a law firm called Cohen & Slamowitz, stating they had been retained to sue my wife for non-payment of close to $4,000 from some company called Midland Consumer Bank. I called the attorney's office, knowing that this was bogus, and requested all back-up documentation for this supposed debt. The woman I spoke with said she would put in a request. Now, just this evening, my wife was served with a summons to go to court. This is completely bogus and they have provided no documentation to back up this claim. What can I do? I really need some help here. Thank you in advance.

One thing you should never do is to talk to a CA over the phone. Always do everythig in writing CRRR. Since she was served I assume this is a legitimate summons and not one of the fake ones. She needs to answer within the time limit and her defenses are that the debt is not hers and also include the affirmative defense of SOL since you have no idea of the time frame. The clerk of court may copy a similar answer from another case for you.

You also need to send them a request for validation and this time do it CRRR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back