Termite infestation found after buying - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yottaflops

I just bought a condo in California. There were two termite inspections done on the property before closing: one by the seller in June, and another by myself after making the offer. Both were done by licensed inspectors, and both came back ok, without any red flags.

The day after I got the keys to the condo, I started taking away a bookcase attached to the wall, and found a live termite infestation. The bookcase was definitely eaten away by the termites, and there were lots of termites crawling around, as well as particles (either termite droppings or wood particles - I'm not sure) everywhere on top of, and behind the bookcase. I'm not sure if there is any other damage to the property -- I'll be getting a few inspectors to look at this shortly.

Of course, I'm beyond being frustrated and angry about this situation. I felt cheated on. What can I do? I have literally spent only a few hours at this condo, and already found this huge termite problem. So clearly, there is some gross negligence on the part of the inspectors -- I can't imagine how one can argue that it is not obvious.

I don't know, and don't know if I can prove, that the seller knew about this and intentionally failed to disclose it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Take pictures, document all your findings and have an independent inspector come over and write a final report. If infestation on the entire house is the outcome on the independent contractor's report, you can file suit against the inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back