Ask a Legal Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    signing over parental rights

    I signed over my parental rights. Do i still have to pay child support?
    Does anyone know?


  2. Registered User Learned Colleague

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Yes. Child support is independent from custody, actually usually the person not having custody is the person who has to pay child support.

    The law says both parents are financially responsible for the child, no matter who actually has legal or physical custody.

    The question how much you have to pay is answered according to the circumstances of the child, the parents ,their incomes and the state guidelines.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: rights.

    What if he signed off with legal signed papers that stated the mother wanted no support from him and would not come back at any time to seek it. Then what?
    Is there any legal way to sign a man off any responsibility for a child born out of a sexual encounter, not a relationship? If both parties are in agreement?

    I was advised legally in the state of WI that i can sign off any right to child support or money help and parternal rights from the father if we are both in agreement.
    Is it the same in all states?
    My Lawyer was not sure on that part, and i will be moving to GA soon and residing in the same state as the father. It is important for me to know. I want no back lash from this.
    Last edited by Carmen1963; 07-24-2004 at 01:46 PM.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It depends on what State you live in.
    Here in the State of Texas, once you sign away parental rights, you have no more responsibility for the child or visitation priveledges.
    You are no longer considered the child's parent and that means you are not responsible.
    Hope that helps.
    Check your States rules and codes and that should tell you.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Ohio laws concerning signing over parental rights

    Could anyone out there help with this question.
    I'm paying an exhorbetent amount of c/s with no real way or want to see my child. This sounds callous, but her mother wants no part of me in her life,,,no part except the money , of course. What kind of recourse do I have. Would signiing over rights remedy this or will I still be burdened with this expense?

  6. #6
    Moderator Honorable Scholar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,417
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 200 Times in 200 Posts
    Because you do not want to see the child does not mean you get out of paying support. Don't have kids if you cannot support them.

    If there is a stepfather willing to adopt and mom motions for a termination of rights, you might have a chance, but you will still owe any back support.

    It is your job to protect your fatherly rights. If you do not see your child do something about it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My situation is similar but different. I lost custody of my kids 3 years ago and I pay child support. The people who have my children do not need the money and only put it in a bank account. When I initally started paying support they based it on me receiving $8.00 an hour. I now receive $6.00 an hour and they haven't lowered my support. I don't want to shuck my responsibility to my kids but I know that where they are they're not in need of my monetary support. But I need to live and cannot on $125 a week. My question is this: would I need a lawyer if the custodians agree they don't want child support?

  8. #8
    Moderator Honorable Scholar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,417
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 200 Times in 200 Posts
    First of all has a judge and an adoption attorney been involved in this? I am not sure what you mean by signing over parental rights, if you just signed a piece of paper that does not mean anything. When you terminate your rights, generally a legal adoption is done by another person. Generally, child support stops once rights are legally terminated, BUT any arrears is usually still owed.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How sure are you that this is infact true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean in TX
    It depends on what State you live in.
    Here in the State of Texas, once you sign away parental rights, you have no more responsibility for the child or visitation priveledges.
    You are no longer considered the child's parent and that means you are not responsible.
    Hope that helps.
    Check your States rules and codes and that should tell you.

    I live in TX, in a similar situation, How can i verify this iinformation? Where is it noted that once your no longer considered the childs' parent in TX, that your no longer responsible for the child financially? I lost my job for quite some time and it took a while to get back on my feet, and now that I am, I am getting taken back to court for money. I understand the back support will be owed, thats a given. but what about future payments? Neither one of us have custody, we quit going to court cause we both ran out of money seems like, and only temporary orders are in place that name her joint conservetor, but the primary, so the child lives with her. I live so far away that I can not meet the appointed times for visitation, and to be real honest i have had very little interaction with her because of this. I have always paid on time and was never late seing that it was automatically garnished at 20% of my gross. It is only as of late that i have missed the scheduled payments. How certain are you that this is the way TX law is written? Please advize thx

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greggrmak
    Could anyone out there help with this question.
    I'm paying an exhorbetent amount of c/s with no real way or want to see my child. This sounds callous, but her mother wants no part of me in her life,,,no part except the money , of course. What kind of recourse do I have. Would signiing over rights remedy this or will I still be burdened with this expense?
    I am going through the same thing right now and if u want to sign over rights someone must adopt that child as far as back pay goes as long as she agrees not to persue it then u have nothing to worry about just get a signed legal document stating that she wont come after you but i dont know the full situation if she was on any kind of state assistance like welfare then its quite possible u will still have to pay that money owed to the state but as long as she didnt get cash assistance and the state didnt pay for the birth then its basically up to the both of you to come to an agreement.
    hope this helps

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duelingbass
    I live in TX, in a similar situation, How can i verify this iinformation? Where is it noted that once your no longer considered the childs' parent in TX, that your no longer responsible for the child financially? I lost my job for quite some time and it took a while to get back on my feet, and now that I am, I am getting taken back to court for money. I understand the back support will be owed, thats a given. but what about future payments? Neither one of us have custody, we quit going to court cause we both ran out of money seems like, and only temporary orders are in place that name her joint conservetor, but the primary, so the child lives with her. I live so far away that I can not meet the appointed times for visitation, and to be real honest i have had very little interaction with her because of this. I have always paid on time and was never late seing that it was automatically garnished at 20% of my gross. It is only as of late that i have missed the scheduled payments. How certain are you that this is the way TX law is written? Please advize thx
    i can suggest a google search just put in keywords like parental rights, sign off parental rights and it should be able to verify it there i live in michigan and did that but put in "terminating parental rights in michigan" and it came up for me and the law is the same here once the adotion goes through its like u never existed your name comes off birth cert and u no longer have to ay future support as for back pay u need to get her to agree she wont come after you and get it in writing and noterized by a judgebut like i told someone else just depends if she had any help from the state if so u might have to pay some back pay to the state but not to her if u guys agree on it

    hope this helps

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    signing over parental rights

    what is the process for singing over parental rights and does the parent continue to pay child supprt.

  13. #13
    Moderator Honorable Scholar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,417
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 200 Times in 200 Posts
    You cannot just sign over parental rights. The child must be able to be adopted by an alternate parent (step dad/mother). It is not easy to terminate rights, it must go through the courts and approved by a judge.

    Please make a seperate thread on this to avoid confusion.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    signing over parental rights

    Alright , my husband has a baby with another girl, she has never let him see the baby he called her mom and found out she had the baby the day after. He went up there that day and they told him the only way his name would be put on the child b.c is if he signed over all parental rights and he refused... Because he wanted to be in the childs life.. She is now trying to get child support from him, but he has never seen his son who is now 9 months old. If he was to sign over all parental rights would he still have to pay since he has never seen him nor is he on the b.c (birth certificate)? Please get back to me asap...

  15. #15
    jacksgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 281 Times in 281 Posts
    ashie please start you rown thread this one is from 2004
    For non legal parenting help go to www.parentnook.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Log in

Log in