Taking a paternity test before signing over rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKEEFE

My fiance's ex is wanting to have him give up rights to her daughter. She refused a paternity test in the hospital. He is just wanting to go ahead and sign over rights without one. Would it be smarter to go ahead and get a cheap paternity test done so we wouldn't have to sign over rights? They are both sounding like neither one wants a paternity test. i'm just worried he'll end up having to pay childsupport or just more money in general for a child that is not even his.

If the child is his, he cannot sign over his rights unless there is a subsequent step parent adoption. If he didnt want to pay child support he should not hav gotten her pregnant. The law does not allow men to be deadbeats and just walk away from their responsibilities. He should get a DNA test buthe cannot likely terminate rights if the baby is his. Get used to the idea he will be likely paying child support to her if mom files for it, or goes on any form of government assistance.

Last edited:
If mom files for support, they will want a DNA test. If dad files for paternity/visitation/child support, the court will want one done. I think dad would have to pay for that, but it will hold up in court. Filing in court is the only way he'll have enforceable rights.

Does he want to be involved in the child's life, if he is the dad? Has he spent time with the baby? How old is she?

if he signs his rights over he isnt entitled to pay ANY support for the child. signing rights over means that everything having to do with that child belongs to the mother. so if she makes him sign that she can push for support.

Yes but you cannot sign over rights if the mom is single. It does not work that way. The law doesn't allow fathers to wiggle outof their responsibilities so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back