Two dogs bite each other through wrought iron fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepyslap

Yesterday my 7 yr. old son and I took our dog for a walk in our private community neighborhood which most of the houses back the golf course. We decided to take a route that lead us down a dead end portion of the street that lead to a walking trail. On each side of the dead end street are houses that are corner lots and also back the golf course. As you walk down the dead end section of the street towards the path you are walking on the side of the houses. Along the sidewalk is the side fence of this house which is wood planks and then about half way down it turns into wrought iron fence which also is the fencing used in the back that faces the golf course. I was pushing a stoller with the baby in it and my 7 yr. old was walking our dog slightly behind us. As I walked from the wood fencing on the side of the house to where the wrougt iron fence started, a dog came charging at us viciously from the back yard up to the fence and was barking and growling. Our dog ( who is very protective of us) ran to the fence and confronted the dog. The dog that charged us had it's muzzle through the fence and was nose to nose with our dog and that's when they started to bite each other. Their dog bit our dog and then our dog locked on to their dogs mouth and did not let go. It took all I had to seperated the two dogs even with the fence in between them. In result, our dog had a couple punture wounds in it's lower mouth and the other dog suffered more damage as a piece of it's side lip got ripped out.
I was the only one that witnessed this incident (besides my son) and the owner of the other dog would like us to pay the full price of $700 for the vet bill to treat their dog. I feel that their dog initiated all of this and that our dog only resonded to protect my son and myself. As I said before, all of the contact happend through the fence on the street side even though their dog was still in their yard.
Are we at fault here and should I have to pay for their vet bill even though both dogs were hurt but theirs obviously was hurt much more?

You failed to maintain control of your dog and consequently, you are at fault. Your neighbor is correct when it comes to claiming that he is entitled to payment for the vet bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back