Does a sex offender have the right to see his child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diosa28

I have a 3 yr old daughter in Jan '07 her father cheated on me with a 15 yr old and in July '07 was convicted of Second-Degree Sexual Assault of a Child he served six months and was put on probation for 5 yrs he also has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. He recently went back to jail for not registering with the correct address. He has not seen my daughter since about Jan or Feb '07. I want to know if he wants to see her later on what rights does he have? If he has the right to see her how can i change that? And how can i change her last name. I live in SD and he is in jail in WI.

He only will have visitation if the courts grant him it. Just because he had sex with a 15 yr old does not mean he is a danger to toddlers. You can certainly argue for supervised visits. As far as the name change you still need his permission.

Is there an existing parenting plan? If so, you will have to go by that.
Is he restricted from being around children?
Is he the legal father?

No existing parenting plan. Yes he is restricted from being around children. and He is the biological father.

If he has not asked for his rights in court, then at present he has none (for parenting time). If he didn't sign paperwork for paternity at birth, he is not the legal father.

Since he is not permitted to be around children, and he has no rights to visit, then you don't have to give him access, IMO. If at some later date the situation changes, he can file for his rights but I bet he would be supervised, especially since your doesn't know him.

I'm not sure about the name change. At present you have sole legal custody so I'm not sure if you applied for it, if they would ask his permission or not. Maybe ask your courthouse or a local attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back