Lost Closed-Action Arbitration Suit, Owe Defending Attorney Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersot

A group of homeowners' were trying to enforce a mediation agreement with a defendant. Unfortunately, we lost. The question now is that Arbitrator has requested attorney fee information. Our attorney's fees for four years of consultation was $7600, the Defendants' claim their fees are $32,000. There are seven households involved in this suit.

The case was heard and settled in April in Multnomah County, Portland, Oregon. We each just got a letter stating that we owe the $32,000. However, it doesn't break out our individual 'share' of those fees.

1. We were individually represented, so we believe we should be liable only for our individual share. Is that a correct assumption?

2. Some of the folks can not come up with the ~$5K for their share. Is it customary to work out a payment plan/schedule?

3. Can a homeowner opt to have a lien put on their property for the loss?

4. Would the lien show up on their credit report?

5. If a person was not able to pay within 10 days the amount due, would the opposing side have to go back to court to 'compel' them to pay? If so, any comments on that process?

6. If a person were able to pay the $5K on the spot, would it still show up on their individual credit report as a judgment?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I'm working with a bunch of very upset people right now with lots of questions. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back