BoA threats and account closure for invalid debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalkster

I used to work for a company in the IT industry and was an authorized user on the account for business expenses - (an authorized user NOT an account holder)

The company closed a year ago after I had left, and apparently defaulted on the credit card with a balance owing of approx. $25K

I have received numerous phone calls over the past year or so looking for the company owner who was the account holder and each time they were told that I did not know his whereabouts.

Last week I received a phone call from a woman who identified herself as Yvette a BOA employee. She told me I was liable for the money owed but would settle the account if I agreed to pay $3,000 (immediate payment of $1000 and two monthly installments of $1000)

I refused , telling her it was not my responsibility since I was not the account holder and had not received any personal benefit from using the card - it was only used on company business, not for private purchases. She told me that she had my details and if I did not pay the money the bank would shut my personal accounts and take me to court

Later that day she called again and left a voicemail (which I still have ) identifying her by name and stating that if I did not pay $300 towards the buisness account by the end of the day that she would close my personal credit card accounts.

Sure enough they were both closed same day - these were two visa accounts both in good standing, no histories of late payments or overlimit charges - in fact I had been told by one bank employee a couple of months ago they were "ideal" accounts because of the amount of money I spent and paid each month on them.

I know accounts can be closed for many reasons but is it legal to make threats over a debt I am not responsible for? I have checked up and had it confirmed by the bank that I was an authorized user and not an account holder on my ex employers buisness card and that I have no personal responsibility for the company card.

Furthermore when I call the number that left the message the person answering the phone does not identify the company and when asked for the info and an address they refuse and hang up = I thought they had to give that information when requested

I called BoA and after a couple of hours of demanding info and being passed from department to department I was finally connected to the business collections dept where the supervisor checked things out. confirmed that Yvette is a BoA employee in business collections and that it is recorded in the file notes that she left a message on my phone at that time - however they clammed up when I told them what she had said and told me they would get back to me - of course no callback came.

What can I do now - surely it is not legal to make threats against me for a debt I do not owe? And then to carry out those threats? BoA has also damaged my credit file by reporting those accounts as closed by issuer which is a blackmark.

Any help is appreciated... thanks

I would demand that you see a copy of the contract you signed, if they are unable to provide that, I would go to a branch manager and talk to them in Person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back