How do i make my own software/media licsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deo_Favente

i want to make my own software/media license, similar to some of the Creative Commons licenses, but i don't know where to begin. judging from zlib it can't be very hard, but if i look at any of the other well-known ones it looks like a monstrous task. I already have it quite planned out but its just a bunch of ideas - how would i go about writing them into a document and do i have to do anything to make it legal? If there is already a license that has all this please tell me.

My ideas:
Anybody can use the material for any purpose, and all related rights are granted, and the material can be combined with anything.
Anybody can modify the material in any way as long as they license it under the same license and that their modifications are clearly marked
Anybody can distribute the material, with any modifications they make as long as it has the same license, they give credit to the original author and any contributors to the branch, the material must also be available in a format so that other people can make modifications (like the source code for a software program), and that there are no TPMs.
License forbids to control access to the material

So, in summary:
Generic scope
weak copyleft
Requires modifiability
requires attribution
Related rights granted
Access control is prohibited

GNU GPL - i'm not sure about what it says about attribution, but it does not grant related rights and it doesnt prohibit access control.
CC AT SA - does not grant related rights and does not require modifiability.

Sounds like you want the GNU GPL with an attribution clause. If you look, they have some ready-made clause addendums for GPL 3.

What do you mean by access control?

What do you mean by related rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back