Injured at work place, help with personal injury claim settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JONar

The Accident
Around November last year I was injured while at work. I was scooping ice and I cut my right hand on a metal piece that sticks up out of the machine. The metal piece was so sharp that it cut deep into my finger and sliced the tendon in my middle finger on my right hand (also my dominant hand). I had to get stitches and have surgery to reattach the tendon. I was out of work for two months and not able to do any heavy activity with my right hand for three months, because I was in a cast for one month and a splint for the other two. As of now the finger still looks disfigured and it occasionally locks up or stiffens from time to time. I am thinking about seeing the doctor again to follow up because its been 3 months since I saw him.

My medical bills were around $3,000, not counting physical therapy. Lost wages was around $1,500. I'm not sure as to what else you would count. I do dance which includes using my hands, and I passed up plenty of paid shows and competitions. Should I count that? Also the five months that I was unable to practice or train with my group. I have talked to lawyers but they were never specific as far as pain and suffering went.

Do I have a legitimate case?
The negligence would fall under Coca Cola because it was their machine, right? The piece shouldn't of been that sharp knowing that their is a possibility of people hitting it on accident. I would think this would also fall under defective product or product liability, but I wasn't to sure. I do have my hospital bills as evidence as well as witnesses who are willing to give statements. I also have the incident report from my employer. And if you could see my finger it is really disfigured. The shady thing is that when my employer called Coca Cola to come and change out that part of the machine, they took the piece of metal without asking. When I talked to lawyers about the incident most of them said it was "actual damage" and that I already had won the case, I just needed to come to a settlement with Coca Cola.

If I do have a case. . .
How do I go about writing a personal injury claim letter to a big company like Coca Cola? Do I contact them? Or write the letter out and just send it to them?

From lawyers that I have talked to. . .
Most of them have said I have a case but it is questionable as to if Coca Cola would even bring me to court. Most of them said to write a demand letter or claim letter. And that is why I am asking how would I go about writing one? As well as opinions as to what others feel about my case?

You have not won the deep pockets lottery this time. Workers compensation is your SOLE recourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back