Apartment complex is not telling me everything I need to know as far as leasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJH008

Hello all. I ran into the law last night looking for free legal advice and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Matthew and I am currently a student at Sam Houston State University.

My question concerns the ethics and behavior of my apartment complex. I was under lease for an apartment from July 2007 to July 2008. Back in November of 2007, I was under the impression that I was under a 6 month lease. A person that I know that works at the apartment ran into me at the bus stop and told me that I needed to resign my lease. So I went to the front office and before I signed anything, I asked them if this new lease would effect my plans for graduating. I have moved back in with my family and am going to finish my studies at a local community college nearer home. The man that I spoke with told me that I had nothing to worry about and that my lease would be expired by July 2008. In what seemed to be a busy day, the man seemed to hurry me through the lease signing process, which was all done on computer.

So I am still under the impression that I had another 6 month lease. I went to the front office on four different occasions and asked them to make sure that everything was in order. Each employee told me "You have nothing to worry about", "Your lease will be expired in July", "Everything is in order". So fast forward to yesterday, I call my apartment complex to discuss moving out procedures. They call me back and tell me that I am in fact still under lease from July 2008 to July 2009. It seems to be that the original lease that I had was from July 07 to July 08, which deemed it unnecessary to resign again. Employees and the manager deny that they are at fault and seemed to not care about my situation.

So my question is is this a form of deception? I know I may be at fault for not pushing the issue and making the employee give me time to look over the lease, but is this common with all apartment complexes? What are the possibilities of getting out of this upcoming lease (July 08 to July 09)? I'm sorry for the extended story and I thank anyone who takes the time to give me advice.

Sincerely,
Matthew

As I said in the above, I was rushed through the process and was not given an opportunity to read the lease. This was also done on computer, so I did not sign the lease with pen but it was simply a matter of clicking "agree" on a computer.

If this is my fault, what are some ways of getting out of a lease? I am attempting to find a subleaser at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back