have joint custody but want sole custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtMommy

I recently divorced my husband on May 2008 and we agreed on joint custody because he was being very difficult about the divorce and pro-longing it. Upon our divorce he went to court for charges made by the city regarding domestic violence but the charges were dropped (there was a protective order against him which didnt allow him to reside in our household). Since our divorce he has made things really difficult for me and whenever he gets mad at me for whatever reason, he will not pick up the phone (i call my son whenever he is with his dad to check that he is okay and to tell him good night) and does not let me talk to our son. My son is questioning my love for him which makes me beleive his father is telling him things. I have a boyfriend who my ex-husband knows about and my son tells me that whenever he mentions my boyfriends name, my son gets "punished" by his dad or his dad gets mad at him. Issues of daycare/school are now starting to be a problem. Also he was responsible of giving me child support every friday but he takes up to 2 weeks to get the child support to me. He also yells at me and insults me whenever we speak in the phone (with my son being next to him) which i told him many times he is hurting our child emotionally doing so. My son's behavior has changed and he is started to wet his pants (he is 5). Whenever he gets mad he walks away from me and either throws a tantrum which he never did, he used to cry and say things like i dont love him.

I really want to have sole custody of my son because i do not feel his father is behaving as a good figure for my son and does not have his best interest at heart. He also leaves my son with his mother on the days he has him to go out with friends. I repeatedly told him that if he has plans we can either switch days or just to leave him with me but he is selfish and says no. He has my son 2 days a week (he can choose his days) and every other weekend. I want to decrease the time if possible or just fight for sole custody.

Is it too late to do so? We live in the State of Connecticut. My son will be 5 years old soon. I have made an appointment with a Psychologist for my son because of his behavior change... Please advice if its too late for sole custody or if there is anything else i can do.

Thanks!!!

You will have a really hard time getting sole. Sole won't change anything, Dad will still get unsupervised visits. You'll need more than just being mad at him. It is much too soon to take him back to court for this. I do not see what sole custody is going to do. He has the right to joint and the courts gave it to him. Dad is free to parent the way he wants.

:mad:to whom will listen,
i am a 38 year old mother of two one 20 one 14. i divorced there father 10 years ago and him and i agreed on him having primary custody. they were 3 years old and 9 years old at the time. we had a good relationship as far as custody arrangements and we got along great for the kids even though there was a distance (i lived in va and he in pa). we both got remarried and were happy for each other but recently he passed away. My son moved in with some of his friends to live with them and i figured id be taking my daughter with me, but things didnt turn out that way. the step mother filed for custody of my miner child(daughter). she was 13 at the time. the way pennsylvainia law works is the child has no say until there 18 years old. for some reason the judge ended up giving custody to the step mother even after my daughter stated many times she wanted to be with me. i appealed with the superior court. june 5th a year later superior court ruled in my favor. i finally thought it was over.now she still gets more visition rights to my daughter than i had when i divorced her father. the step mother gets the whole summer and once a month being transported between va and pa. which leave her inable to do summer activitys such as horse back riding and allstar cheerleading which she wants to do. they say theres nothing i can do about it being that it goes between 2 different states and if thats true how can i get the laws changed cause thats not right and as the saying goes it was til death do they part.

so what can i do in this matter.:confused::confused:.

:mad:to whom will listen,
i am a 38 year old mother of two one 20 one 14. i divorced there father 10 years ago and him and i agreed on him having primary custody. they were 3 years old and 9 years old at the time. we had a good relationship as far as custody arrangements and we got along great for the kids even though there was a distance (i lived in va and he in pa). we both got remarried and were happy for each other but recently he passed away. My son moved in with some of his friends to live with them and i figured id be taking my daughter with me, but things didnt turn out that way. the step mother filed for custody of my miner child(daughter). she was 13 at the time. the way pennsylvainia law works is the child has no say until there 18 years old. for some reason the judge ended up giving custody to the step mother even after my daughter stated many times she wanted to be with me. i appealed with the superior court. june 5th a year later superior court ruled in my favor. i finally thought it was over.now she still gets more visition rights to my daughter than i had when i divorced her father. the step mother gets the whole summer and once a month being transported between va and pa. which leave her inable to do summer activitys such as horse back riding and allstar cheerleading which she wants to do. they say theres nothing i can do about it being that it goes between 2 different states and if thats true how can i get the laws changed cause thats not right and as the saying goes it was til death do they part.

so what can i do in this matter.:confused::confused:.

You should start your own thread with this question. You're more likely to get help. Just copy and paste your post in a new thread. And, also let us know whether or not the step-mother had children with your ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back