Criminal Records, Expungement Can background checks go beyond public records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue66

Hello, I am applying for a UK visa, and I am unsure if I should mention an invalid, dismissed Failure to Appear and arrest warrant from almost a decade ago. I am considering not mentioning it because it is not on my public record, or the NCIC record. (I failed to appear after an extremely minor traffic offense)

My question is, will the UK visa officials be able to look at records that aren't considered public? I was told today that the only thing showing on my public record is driving without proof of insurance.

The question on the application that I was considering answering "yes" to is this:
"have you ever been charged in any country with a criminal offence for which you have not yet been tried in the court (including traffic offences)?"

I spoke to someone who thinks that I should answer no, even if they can see the dismissed, invalid FTA and warrant, because the question implies that there is a future court date, which there isn't. The issue has been dropped and I owe no fines and haven't been contacted about court ever. So does this mean that the above question does not apply to my situation or dropped charges? I was expected to go to court many years ago, but can I still say no to the question, since it appears to be asking only about future court dates?

To verify, the only time I was asked to go to court was after I was pulled over without proof of insurance. When I didn't go, I was issued with failing to appear and an arrest warrant, but both of those only stayed valid for 4 years, and I was never contacted about them (in a different state). Even now that I have contacted the police about, I am not asked to go to court or pay fines. The FTA and warrant have been purged from the active, public files for 5 years now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It will not make a difference the question is intended to prevent people whom are on trial from fleeing the country. A minor infraction will not affect your eligibility for a visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back