Ex-Hub wants to revoke his rights...what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommy21angie

My ex just called and told me because of his legal woes in other parts of his life he thinks it best to sign away his rights. His probation officer told him this would be his best bet. He is already behind 8 months in child support and is being threatened with more legal actions by child support recovery. I'm okay with this, not happy about it, but we have had SO much trouble from him in the recent past that I'm okay with it. Not going to tell the kids til adulthood, or try not to. Afraid it will seriously affect them, plus I'm not going to keep them away from him either...I don't want to damage them further then I already have.

He called and asked if I would get the ball rolling and I told him I would check it out. Could anyone tell me what to do...as cheap as possible. I remarried and I have four wonderful children. We are financially stable enough to take care of them. Is there a way we can do this without a lawyer...we are trying to do this affordably. :)

Hubby can't get out of it that easily.

should I....??

Do you think if he is the one wanting this that I should just let him take all the action since this is what he wants? He told me he thought I was the one that was supposed to get the ball rollin. I will probably do just this.

Rights are different from obligations. Even if he could sign off on his rights (to parent) he'd still be obliged to support them.

Only way would be for your husband to adopt them, and ex still may need to pay the arrears. You would need an attorney for this. Ask him if your judge ever allows arrears to be forgiven.

I wouldnt let him out of his obligation. No way, plus most states will not terminate rights without a step-parent adoption. If you want to drop his CS altogether you can do that but you should not allow him to terminate rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back