Laws that govern voting / rating websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsgrave

Hi young entrepreneurs,

I am curious to know what laws govern voting / rating websites like hot or not

Are they bound by the laws of their hosting locale? for example if you host your site in the US and say texas. Are you bound by the laws of that particular state and country?

Is there any regulations that monitors website with user submitted Non-nude photography?

What about copyright laws? do the site actually own the pics that the user submits?

Please let me know your thoughts

rhcp_me

Jurisdiction is a huge topic that has yet to be fully solidified as law. If you're hosting in the US, suffice it to say you'll be held liable for US law. If you are hosting in a state and/or have a company presence in the state, chances are you'll be held liable for those state laws, especially where the primary business is located. With regard to copyright, that is uniformly applied across the US and the law is likely similar internationally.

Regarding ownership of the pictures, each site may have a terms of use which will define what the rights are that governs. I'd be wary of any site that says they own the rights to the picture submitted (most provide a license to use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back