Child Support modification, appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfields1973

I filed two motions pro se in Dakota County, Minnesota: one for child support modification (our original order was dated back in 2000) and one for modification of some parenting/visitation time (we live in two different states) and a few other issues relating to medical insurance, etc. My ex hired an attorney and we had a hearing July 7. I appeared by telephone as airline tickets were $400-500 RT for me. We have 3 children (the original order has us sharing legal custody, I have sole physicial). He was originally issued to pay $1200 per month in support ($345 of that was supposed to be for child care).

The judge issued a Findings and Order which basically gave my ex everything he requested in his motion and reamed me for everything. He gets to claim 2 of the kids on his tax returns indefinitely, the judge lowered child support to $800 per month (I make roughly 50,000, he makes over 90,000), she issued a judgment to me for overpaid daycare for months I didn't have child care (in the amount of almost $5,000), and issued an order regarding me still paying all transportation costs to and from Minnesota 3 times a year (a cost of roughly $3,000 a year), and also ordered the kids up there two days after they get out of school and to return 2 days before school starts up during summer and xmas vacation and 1 day after and before during the week of spring break. I can see being fair but this judge really just wasn't in my opinion.

I've spoken with one attorney and she said an appeal would be like $10,000 but she said that there are several issues that could be brought on appeal.

Am I being completely ridiculous to think this order was so far on his side or am I somewhat correct and should I be seeking an appeal? The order was just issued on the 18th and his attorney hasn't yet sent me a copy starting my 30-day count.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Did you talk to an attorney before you put in for a modification? You had it really good if before you were claiming all 3 kids.

I havent read the MN CS guidelines so I cannot answer if this is fair. Unfortunately this is a risk you take when you file for a CS modification. Sometimes its best to let sleeping dogs lie, espedially when you are already receiving $1200/mo in support and claiming all 3 kids.

It is not unusual for the NCP to claim some of the kids. Also if you were the one that moved originally, you should be providing transportation but it is unclear who moved.

If you did not use daycare and still were collecting it, you owe it. Is the amount they say you owe, correct?

I think you need to decide if spending 10k is worth an appeal. The tax exemptions probably will not change he will still likely get at least 1, nor you paying for all transportation (sounds like you moved). He should have had 1 or 2 exeptions to begin with but if you want to appeal the amount of CS, the vacation times(I dont think him having the whole summer,spring break and xmas vacation is fair either) then appeal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back