debt summons/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear82

hello,

I recently received a summons from an attorney for a rooms to go account that is almost 13-14years old. I went through a divorce and needed some furniture a while back and went to rooms to go. the total was less than 1000.00 I paid it down to around 600 and then they started adding intrerest. long story short i refused to pay the hidden fees ( or fees i wasnt made aware of at the time of purchase) since then rooms to go sold the debt to other creditors. Since this the bill has come off my credit report and rooms to go has even sent me another credit card with a 5000.00 limit and called me a valued customer ( which i promptly cut into many small pieces) i had not heard a thing from anyone for years. now a debt collector called and said i owe over 3000.00 for 800.00 worth of furniture that i dont even have anymore. I told them that i wont pay since it is no longer on my credit and both original parties have moved on. the other day an attorney sent the marshalls office to my mailing address with a summons. I dont think this is fair since the debt is very old and the attorney just bought some debt paper to try and make a quick buck. I have since paid all my debt off and have no outstanding balances except my student loan which is in good standing. I am in the process of buying my first house and i feel the attorney has pulled my credit and is trying to bully me into paying something that has been written off years ago. please help.

You need to answer the summons within the time limit. Your affirmative defense is that the statute of limitations has expired. You can check the SOL for your state but there are only a couple where they can still come after you and since you didn't give you state I can't check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back