Stopping payment on a payable to "cash" check

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobshame

Ok, I got duped by some guys selling speakers out of a van in New York. After some reading I now know it's called the "white van speakers" scam. I had paid them with some checks that were intended for me but they were made out to cash. The con artist who cashed my check put it directly into his account. This happened on 7/14/08. My questions are, is it possible or worth it to request the person who wrote the check to stop the payment for those check? Can the check be considered lost or stolen? Or is there some other way I should try to reclaim that cash? I want to involve the check writers as little as possible.

I am not familiar with the scam, and would like to know more about it. But to answer your question about the stop payment - once it has been cashed, a stop payment cannot be put on it. However since they put it into their personal account you may be able to find the person in order to sue them in small claims.

Unfortunately, you have no other choice but to involve the check writers to gather the personal information of those that are depositing/cashing the checks you used to pay for the speakers and that is because you don't have any other way of gathering that information so you can sue them. Now, if the speakers cost you over $5K you cannot sue in small claims. That option only applies if the amount is under $5K. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back