Living in apartment without a valid lease for 1.5 month

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobo76

In mid-May I signed a lease for an apartment unit that I never moved into. At the time of signing the lease, I also put down a nominal security deposit. The day of move-in (June 1st) there were a few issues: (1) the unit I signed a lease for wasn't complete and (2) I realized the unit was too small – I moved cross country. Instead of moving into that unit, I moved into another unit at a cost of $150 more per month (which was larger). She stated she was overwhelmed with move-ins and I would sign a new lease the beginning of the following week. The following week she stated that she'd given me the wrong amount for that unit and it was $350 more vs $150 more! So I stated I wasn't going to sign the lease and move out by the end of this month (July). Here is where things get funny: She changed the first page of my lease paperwork (the lease is a 10 page document with a signature at the very end of the document – no initials at the end of each page) to indicate that I signed a lease for the unit I moved into when in fact the signature was for a completely different unit that I moved into. I didn't sign off on the lease being changed. She is also telling me to refer to the early termination clause with is equivalent to two months. My thought is I don't have a lease and for the management to try and collect on those early termination charges with be fraudulent activity as the lease documents are falsified. Thoughts? (FYI – this isn't an apartment community, this is a condo building that the developer decided to rent out a percentage of the units due to a slow real estate market – hence this mess!)

Your situation is rather unusual I would urge you to take your lease and your version of events to an Attorney. Yes you signed a lease and thats binding however you also did not move into Apartment on lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back