Fired By Majority Coowner

Status
Not open for further replies.

newhere

Hello, I was terminated this past Monday per phone by a majority owner of the resort I worked at.

The Sunday before he terminated me I was asked by this majority owner to be day to day operations manager due to issues he had with the minority owner, then this majority owner went on vacation the next day and I am not even sure he contacted the minority owner as to this decision he made though he had me he had. He put me in a terrible position which I wish I had never accepted. There were major issues while he was gone with the minority owner even though I had been given a letter (by majority owner) confirming what he wanted, my responsilibites which he also told me to share with the employees at the resort to verify the decision he had made, He stated in the letter it was short short term and long term would be discussed later.

I had been hired as housekeeper and then promoted to head housekeeper within days then asked to do almost all aspects of the resort. I accepted these responsiblities and put in 10-13 hour days with no days off most weeks. I took my responsibities very serious and worked very hard.

The issues involved were the minority owner drinking and getting drunk at the resort, with employee's, with guests and us as employee's being made to babysit and cover for her. I was even asked to lie by this minority owner as to what she was doing to the majority owner.

The resort has received many negative feedbacks per computer and travel sites and this minority owner asked several of us to post reviews on sites and to the majority owner. I did not want to but decided I would maybe it would help with the issues at the resort but I decided I would state the positives along with the negatives (true events) I did do this under an assumed name as the minority owner had told us to do if or when we posted, I also did this for myself. The minority owner is a very unstable person.

The majority owner was very concerned with what was going on at his resort and he came to the resort one weekend and I was again told by the minority owner to lie for her, I did not do this. I was honest with what was going on there with the majority leader and his wife as to what I knew first hand. He then asked me to step in and manage day to day operations manager immediatley short term (no additional compensation was offered to me to do it) I accepted and wish now in after thought I would not have. I did as he had requested of me verbally and in this letter.

It was a very uncomfortable situation I was undermined by the minority leader she did not follow the letter given to me by the majority leader, she let employees have days off on their schedules work days, a chef quit due to her behavior, I knew she was trying to get me to quit. I did email the majority owner and and called him to what was going on and also told him I would stay only for a week in this position if things did not change. I felt obligated till he returned from vacation

The majority leader did fiind out I had written several emails as to events that had happened at the resort, due to misconduct by the minority leader, drunk, mis behavirior by her and another employee, he did not know we had been asked to do this by the minority owner. He called and told me I was fired had 5 minutes to get off the property, that I was a con man, I had lied about the minority owner, slanderer her name and he threatened me if I told anyone about activites at the resort or slandered her name he would file a lawsuit against me in a minute. I feel the truth is the truth not slander. He accused me of having taken a master key (which I had informed him was missing the week before) There were other threats he used to intimitate and frighten me. (I also found out later from other employees he said he had also fired my partner on the phone who was only working there very part time to help out while they were shorthanded) he said neither of us were to be on the property again. He threatened if we did not pack up and move immediatley where we previously live (we do not live on their property) to our other home which is about 300 miles away or there would be consequences and also he would contact my partners other employee! I left the property immediately after this confrontation. These owners have also threatened other employees that they cannot come to visit us or come to the ranch where we live or they are in jeopordy of consequences from them.

Other employee's had/have witnessed the same or other behaviors as I had at this resort. There are others (employed, or who had quit or been fired 8 in the last 3 months) who know. The employee's still employed there maybe afraid to state anything or they could lose their jobs.

I never asked to be put in this position. I took the job initatially to have something to do, the owners made the decision to do what they did as far as my responsiblities and advancement. The minority owner gave me more responsiblities the majority owner put me in the position of day to day operations manager in person with his letter to that effect (which I have in my possession).

I would like to apply for unemployment compensation due to this firing and the circumstancesinvolved but also am afraid too due to what this this owner said to me. I also wonder if I have other avenues to take for what this employer did? the threats the intimidations the fear he put in me?

I am sorry this has gotten so long there is more and probably important things. I need to know should I be afraid to apply for unemployment compensation or to check into other avenues due to all this?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Newhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back