Fraudulent check deposit - I was scammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Steelo

I am from Long Beach, CA and I applied for a part-time Bookkeeper job online. The Key Acct supervising me told me I qualified to be a Collector for the Company. I collect payments, deposit the check to my Bank, keep my commission, then send out the rest of the money to an agent.

I deposited my first check ($30,500) to my bank. 2 days later the Bank "cleared" the funds. So, I kept my 25% commission and then wrote the remaining $22,500 check to the agent.

To make things short, the Bank notified me that it was a Fraudulent Check. I told them I didn't know it was. I filed a police report stating I was scammed, but the Bank told me I am still responsible to pay back the money OR find that agent and get the money back.

I had Direct Deposit to my Bank and they took my paycheck to apply it to the missing money without telling me. I told them, while there is an investigation, please release my paycheck while the police, FBI and I find the agent and the money, but they refused.

Well I did my own investigating and I found that agent myself and he CLAIMS he didn't know the whole thing was a scam. I asked him what he did with the money and he said the same Key Acct told him to Western Union $3,500 to Nigeria & $7,000 to Slovenia = total $10,500. And he can't get the money back.

So, the agent returned the remaining $12,000 to my Bank. So, A REMAINING $9,300 IS OUTSTANDING, which the Bank still wants ME to pay back, because it's my Bank Account.

Because of this, I don't have a Bank Account, they took my last paycheck which I need to pay my rent and bills, and they said I still need to pay back the $9,300 which I don't have.

My first question is...I have a video confession of the Agent stating "he was the one who sent out the money", I have copy of receipts with his name and signature sending out the money, and surveillance videos at the bank of him cashing the money to send out. So, if I took this agent to court...isn't he responsible to return the money. Even the police said he is still a suspect because he "physically" cashed the money and sent it out to Nigeria and Slovenia.

My second question is... if the Bank is telling me I'm responsible to pay back the money, BUT...

....everyone is telling me....WHY DID YOUR BANK CLEAR THE FUNDS IN THE FIRST PLACE? Didn't the Bank "Drop the Ball" first, before me???

Isn't the Bank supposed to check first before clearing a $30,500 check to an individual? If the Bank followed protocol and BASIC Bank procedure...this wouldn't of gone this far, so...

....SHOULDN'T THE BANK HAVE TO "BITE" THE REST OF THE MISSING MONEY FOR MAKING THE MISTAKE OF CLEARING THE FUNDS??? They should have some kind of Bank Insurance to cover the missing money.

I would appreciate if someone can give me advice if I have a case against the Bank AND isn't the agent responsible for paying back the money.

And I don't mean making money off of the bank in court...I just want the bank to waive my responsibility for the rest of the missing money.

By the way, I can be evicted from my apartment if I don't get my paycheck back, I have a 2 year old daughter, plus my wife is 2 months pregnant, so I really need my Bank Account back and my bi-weekly paycheck back to pay my bills.

Thanks

This is a typical scam. You should have known better but I have seen savvy business people taken in by greed. You owe the bank and are lucky you got what you did out of the agent. All you can do is take him to court and hope he has some assets.

Nothing in this life is free( besides the air you breath) --- If it sounds to good to be true it usually is!!

1st thing-- if you are a collector, collecting on people who dont pay their bills, why would you take the liability to put their checks that have a 80% chance it would bounce in your personal account?

Last edited:
I usually look out for this. I usually have to watch and give advice to my wife and friends. Before I deposited, I researched for the top 10 scams. They didn't ask for my Bank Account # or Soc Sec like other scams. PLUS, I met an actual agent which seemd legit, instead of just dealing with someone online.

The first red flag was the $30,500 check and I should have investigated further, BUT...working in Real Estate and Production Accounting....this amount is not over the top.

Either way, I did get scammed...and I guess I owe the bank. I just wanted to ask, because this happened to someone else and he DIDN'T PAY THEM BACK...

...ALL B of A did was report him to Chex Systems.

His argument with them, was that, "Why did you guys clear the check?" You guys messed up too. If you want to take me to court then go for it, but I'm not paying back the money, because I was scammed and didn't know it was a fraudulent check."

So, if you guys know for sure I owe, since you guys know the law, then what can I do.

Thanks

You can talk to the bank and provide them the police report that you have and see if they will file a insurance claim on it--- but most generally depending on how big the bank is they wont do much-- trouble is, this was not a stolen check book (insurance will take over) this was a deposit which I am assuming was made out to you and you endorsed the back? This is something that you will end up having to pay back-- You should do every thing you can to take that agent to court-- or get the police all over him-- but the bank will more then likley do nothing to him because this is your account and he did not commit fraud on your account

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice. They are trying to work with me by giving me my account back, but I have to apply for a loan for the outstanding amount. While, the agent pays me back.

I was approved and they are giving me another bank account, but I have to make sure the agent starts giving me monthly payments, too. Otherwise, I am screwed.

This is a mess, but I guess I should have known better.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back