Electric Meter Tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.

patioranch

Sorry for the long post. Long story.

For over two years we have rented a 2-bedroom unit in a three unit house. The house is located on a large pond and was built in the '60's. The house is sort of a large split-level ranch built into a hillside. We occupy the main upstairs unit; our next door neighbor is separated by a breezeway (like a duplex) and the land lords (who live out of town) use the downstairs unit when ever performing repairs, landscaping or just a getaway.

Recently we blew a breaker (for the first time) due to the hot weather. Our breaker box is located in the land lord's unit next to a refrigerator. The land lords were away, so armed with a flashlight, I needed to slide the fridge a little out of the way to access the breaker box. I was surprised to find an old dusty electric meter. Pointing the flashlight at the meter I noticed the "wheel" was spinning. I also noticed that the lock-ring was hanging loose.

Now I am curious. I was aware that the electric and gas meters were located on the far end of the house, but I had never walked over to inspect them until now. There are only two electric and gas meters connected. Although I have the keys to the land lord's unit (in case of emergency) I had never poked around. Well, I poked around this time.

I assumed they had a hot water heater. They do not. I looked for a gas meter. There is not one. I went up to my unit and unplugged everything – I mean everything and went outside to check my meter. Still spinning. Went downstairs and checked the old dusty tampered with meter behind the fridge. Still spinning. Land lords keep lights on and fridge running. I unplugged and turned everything off. Old dusty tampered meter stops spinning. My meter outside stops spinning.

Ok, if these guys only pinched a few kilowatts, I can live with that had they told me. However, they spent the better part of two summers using heat guns and sanders to remove paint from the wooden shingle siding. Every time they are here any resource they consume I have paid for.

The land lords not only do not pay the utilities for their unit, but also have knowingly "tapped" into the tenants. I'm pissed. What are my legal options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back