Dispute over bank charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmixer

Last fall a person in Arizona was moving thousands of dollars in and out of my mothers account with a national bank. Mom lives in Minnesota and having a small checking account was getting charged almost daily for overdrafts and inf's. The charges began to pile up and the bank opened a visa account to shift the charges to overdraft protection. They were not authorized to open the account they just called my mom and told her she had a new credit card as a courtesy from the bank. When my sister and I discovered the problem back in January she took mom to the bank and they reversed all charges, but now they are sending statements with the charges reinstated and refuse to speak to anyone but mom. I do now have full power of attorney for mom's affairs because she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January shortly after we found the problem.

Here is my big question, I now have to deal with this bank, but they are not willing to speak with me about her accounts (even though they are closed). Is there a banking authority like the insurance commissioner that one can refer to to use as threat to get some action?

You can file reports with the Better Business Burro you said you have total power of attorney? If thats so according to the UCC (uniform commercial code) you also have power over her bank accounts and can talk for her. go directly into the bank with proof of the power of attorney and demand to talk to someone to have the charges reversed. Be sure to bring lots of paperwork and perhaps your lawyers card. you should do fine.

Thanks, I did just that yesterday and boy did we get things accomplished. The branch president got involved when she found out about the Arizona person. This was the first time we have gooten any action. Thanks for the advise. If we can't work this out, I will call the BBB as well. For now anyway we are making headway.

Thanks again. I am so greatful I found this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back