Will lying in a legal suit get you in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedparent

I was served with papers today from my son's mother. She is taking me to court for a visitation hearing. My son is 10 and he's been living with me since he was about 4-5 years old. We have never been married and never have gone to court for custody but agreed that since he lived with me that I have full custody. In the document she (or her lawyer) describes her in a angelic light, making me look like an jerk and bad father and describes her role through out our son's life. 90% of it is lies. The whole document is filled with lies or is very exaggerated. I have documents and eye witnesses to prove that in court.

My question is will she get in trouble with the court for lying so much in her suit? What will happen to her if so?

*Little back story: When she lived in my state she barely ever came around to see him or call. Now she live across the US and the phone call have almost completely disappeared. She visits once every few months and when she does visit she fills his head with so many false promises and lies that it got to the point where he comes home crying, upset and asked me to put him in therapy. Honest I'm not trying to badmouth her. I just wanted you to understand what I'm facing here.*

Any question, please ask. Thank you.

Your focus is in wrong area. Presenting evidence is not a lie. That evidence is taken in and examined to see if it does indeed tell the tale in which its presumed. False statements under oath is illegal. Now those are secondary. What you need to to is prove your actions and show yourself as a good caregiver and that your child is doing fine under your care

Gradparents have very limited visitation rights and it depends on state law. You need an attorney to file an answer. It is unlikely she will be awarded any visitation especially because of the distance. It could be a year or two before a hearing is held so you need to start a log.

In these cases it all depends on the judge and a local family law attorney is your best resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back