Does a tenant need to inform the landlord within thirty days of move out? -- [CO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoinbergs

I have another quick question if nobody minds! I thought of adding it to the end of my previously asked question, but thought to myself that perhaps it deserves its own thread after all. :)

So most people know about the law where a landlord is required to provide a written statement (usually within thirty days of somebody moving out) as to why s/he plans on keeping their security deposit.

My question is, does the responsibility fall exclusively on the landlord to know this law and follow through with it, or is there any responsibility on the ex-tenant's part to first remind the landlord of such things?

Now I know there's a law requiring an ex-tenant to give a landlord seven days to return their deposit, after it is deemed "wrongful withheld" (because of how the initial thirty days have already gone by without a statement), but this is only to give the landlord a chance to avoid treble damages through legal proceedings. However, is that all that is required of the ex-tenant to recover their full deposit? Just a notice after thirty days of waiting?

Thanks so much for reading yet another question for me, and I hope there's an easy answer to it!

Sincerely,
William

By the way notice time depend son how you pay rent. Example if you pay rent weekly then one weeks notice is the norm and if monthly one month or 30 days notice is norm

jacksgal said:
If you fail to give the proper notice you can be charged with a months rent. However state laws vary you will need to look up yours

jacksgal said:
By the way notice time depend son how you pay rent. Example if you pay rent weekly then one weeks notice is the norm and if monthly one month or 30 days notice is norm

Oops, I don't think you read the whole question. Actually, I think it's my fault for not fitting the word "deposit" into the thread title! I tried, but couldn't.

To recap, I was wondering if there was any legal responsibility on my part to recover (or perhaps just mention) my deposit within the first thirty days of moving out -- or if it was purely my landlord's responsibility to return it to me (or provide a written statement as to why not).

Basically, I would like to know if me not mentioning anything limits my ability to seek recovery of my deposit. (I didn't mention anything only because I didn't know such laws existed until after the month had already passed.)

Your deposit is insurance for Landlord on any damages you might have created intentional or not to property while staying there. Once you leave (a walk through with Landlord at time of move is best with you present) the Landlord will inspect property and do any needed repairs, cleaning etc needed to make before property can be rerented. That cost comes out of your deposit. Now state laws vary on this but Landlord should send you itemized letter saying what part of your deposit was spent on what. What ever is left is returned to you. It is wise to have a walkthrough of to take video and/or pictures of property when you. Look up your state's laws on deposit returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back