Notice to Appear - for walking through a public park

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndanswer

I have lived in Woodland Hills almost my entire life besides moving away for college. Last night my boyfriend and I decided to take a walk through the public park in the area and saw some swings so we jumped on. Before we knew it there was a police cruiser driving through the park shining lights on us. Two officers jumped out and started yelling at us to put our hands up and to walk over to them. We did as they asked. When I asked what the problem was they told us that we were in the park after hours and that we had disobeyed the posted signs. I was shocked because like I said I have lived here my whole life and was never aware that there was an open/closed time in place for the public park. What I tried to explain to them was there was no sign on the side of the park that we entered on. But, they did not care and continued to write both of us a Notice to Appear in court and check misdemeanor - the description of the event he wrote on my ticket was the penal code number and then OBSD in park after hours (what does OBSD stand for). I insisted on wanting to know what was going to happen to me because I have NEVER been on any sort of trouble before in my life and do not want a simple walk in the park to tarnish my clean record. They told me not to be concerned and that this ticket is what they call a "wobbler" (what does that mean?).

So I guess my question is this..what is going to happen when I go to court?? Do I need to be worried that this is something that is going to go on my permanent record?

My guess is that this is a local ordinance and it is not reported. Go to court and ask for a dismissal. Take pictures of the side of the park without any posted signs. You may be able to look up the ordinance on the city's website.

Thank you so much for your help. I am definitely going to go and take pictures. To ask for the dismissal do we go on the elected court date in order to do that or can we go sooner? Also, do you know what this statement means: 66.44.14.b1 LAMC subj obsd in park after hours clearly posted..it's the obsd that I can't seem to understand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back