statute of limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilidog

Had a credit card over 10 years ago, I was laid off...a few times and couldn't pay. The account went into collections, & was eventually charged off. Now a debt collector called and left a message on my phone about it. I've looked on line and saw that the statute of limitations in michigan is 6 years. I'm well past that. One site said if I talk to the collector, that I should just tell them that "the statute of limitations has run on this debt, do not contact me again." But, my question is How do I prove that it's been over 6 years?

Your credit report will have the date the account went into collections. You can request a free credit report from all three bureaus once a year. Once you get a copy of your report, you can dispute anything you don't agree with. You may still get phone calls, but atleast it wont count against your credit.

Thanks for the reply. I just recently bought a house, and it wasn't on my credit report. I assume it came off after a while and that this collection agency is buying up old expired debt hoping to get money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back