Class action against Paypal/Ebay for false advertisement? MN, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddlaz

I just typed this long post with a link and it all got deleted because I don't have three posts. So I'm going to make it short and explain more as the replies come in.

Ebay is sending out emails with coupons for $10 off shipping and other emails for 10% off ebay purchases for "preferred" ebay users if paying by paypal. Invitation only.
Well, I was invited--I got the email, and an invitation message in "My Messages in My eBay", as stated in the terms and conditions page of the offer.

I go to use it, and it doesn't work. I enter the coupon code and it subtracts 10 for shipping and then once I get to the login page to complete the payment, it says the redemption code is linked to another paypal account. These coupon codes are generic-not generated, so the coupon code cannot be "linked" to anything. I contact ebay, they say that there should be no reason that it isn't working so it must be a paypal issue. So I contact paypal, and they say that I'm not eligible and they don't know why ebay would send that email to me.

I've read on other forums and such that a lot of people are having this problem, some do and some don't. In their terms and conditions page, it says you are eligible if you received the email, and to make sure, check eligibility by checking for the message in my ebay messages.

I'm not out to score some easy money or stick it to ebay/paypal. I just want them to own up to their mistakes and whatnot. What can be done in this situation? Is a class action possible if I get enough people to join?
BTW - their terms and conditions of this promo

$10 off shipping* on your next 3 purchases
Redemption Code: CJUNE10SHIP
IMPORTANT NOTES:
1) Make sure the email address on your eBay account is also on your PayPal account.
Find out how.

2) The coupon code cannot be combined with any other coupon code.
See terms and conditions below.

Who's eligible?
Only invited, registered eBay users who received this offer by email from us or saw an ad on eBay are eligible. If you want, you can confirm your eligibility by checking My Messages in My eBay and looking for your invitation email. Sorry, no forwarding-this offer is not transferable. See terms and conditions below.
Here's how to redeem this offer:
1. Start shopping on eBay. Be sure the seller accepts PayPal.
2. Pay for your item with PayPal before the expiration date: June 30, 2008 11:59:59 PM PDT. (Make sure the email address on your eBay account is also on your PayPal account. Find out how.)
3. Enter the redemption code: CJUNE10SHIP
*Important Terms and Conditions:
The offer will expire at 11:59:59 PM PDT on June 30, 2008. Discount may be used up to three times and applies each such time to the shipping charges (excluding handling and taxes) of a single item on eBay.com. Recipients of the coupon must be registered eBay members and pay for the item with PayPal. If actual shipping charges are less than maximum discount indicated on the coupon, the unused portion will be forfeited.

The coupon is non-transferable, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, and has no face value. The coupon is subject to U.S. laws and cannot be combined with any other coupon. The coupon may be combined with eBay Gift Certificates and Gift Cards. eBay reserves the right to cancel, amend, or revoke the coupon at any time. Use of automated devices or programs to redeem the coupon is prohibited.

Purchases on ...link to ebay express... and eBay Live Auctions and purchases made through any customized checkout system are excluded.

Check this thread out. Perhaps this might be applicable to your situation - if you have three accounts and only one account with an offer, make sure you use the right account.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000134024&mod=1214638753609

Otherwise there is also a scam apparently going on where there are links in the email that are actually affiliate links. The affiliate scams you into thinking there is a usable coupon for an item and gets paid when you go through with a sale thinking you'll get the 10% refunded to you later.

yeah I've read around and am aware of the spam emails, I also know that the offer is only good for a specific account. Itried both of my paypals and none worked. I only have one ebay, and I havethe message in my message box so there should be no issue.

I'm not sure if this warrants a class action and I'm sure that if you're right, they'll do right by you. eBay is a big company, cares about its crediblity (it's business runs on it, as challenging as that may be) and let us know what happens after a little perseverence.

I've talked on the phone to quite a few paypal representatives and they all said that my account wasn't eligible. They just sent me another "coupon" and I'm definitely not falling for that again. Ebay just tells me there shouldn't be a problem, and there's nothing they can do.

I say class action because I'm not the only one with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back