SENIORITY does not rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

My employer makes us request all our vacation before November of the following year. Requests are granted by seniority according to our union contract. The Director of Nurses' now has decided to deny my vacation ( I'm top in seniority), due to if mine was granted she would have to deny other new employees. She just gave it away! Our union is dragging its feet, I don't know what to do. This is unheard of and unfair! I need help! Is she some super power who can and will always decide on vacation according to HER wants, not a contract or seniority?

We don't know. We've never met her.

The law does not take any position at all on the subject of vacation or seniority. This is a matter strictly determined by company policy and/or your union contract.

If you believe she is violating your union contract, you'll need to take it up with your union rep.

no law?

There is no law concerning seniority in the workplace?
We have a union contract that states seniority takes prescendent, but our union don't care what management does.

No. There is no law about seniority in the workplace. Not Federal, not state law in any state.

Seniority means diddly squat as far as the law goes.

late post..sorry
Isn't there anything in the law that protects workers' rights in being discriminated against?
Basically, it sounds like workers have no rights as far as fairness, at all.

Ok I will bite. What are you be discrimnated for? Becareful not all discrimination is illegal. This appears to be a Civil issue not a legal one. Your union rep is best suited to deal with this

late post..sorry
Isn't there anything in the law that protects workers' rights in being discriminated against?
Basically, it sounds like workers have no rights as far as fairness, at all.
You DO have rights ... they are spelled out in your union contract, job description, and your employer's personnel rules. If the union contract is violated, the UNION should take it up on your behalf. If the union is failing to represent you, you MIGHT be able to access the union's legal resources on your own, though that might depend on your state's laws. In my state this is possible under certain circumstances.

You are free to consult an attorney and see if he or she can force the issue on the basis of the union contract, but you might find there is an exception in the contract that allows the action taken.

have you checked with your human resources department?

- Carl

And I'm not sure all employees would agree that a strict level of seniority rules would be fair.

Employees have plenty of rights. It's just that the right you want does not happen to be among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back