Expert Witnesses & Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjess

What does it take to be considered an "expert witness?"

How much does it generally cost to supoena an expert witness?

Can one party challenge weather or not the other party's witness is truly an "expert?"

Is there a database for locating expert witnesses?

Can the fees for expert witnesses be recovered in a lawsuit?

Do you pay them before or after the trail?

Thanks!!!

My CPA who specializes in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Detection charged an initial fee of $5,000 to start going through job cost reports and invoices. He charged $250 an hour and once the $5,000 was used, he billed monthly for his time. You also have to pay for all travel time and the hotel stay, if they are located far from you, when they come on-site to view original documents or to testify at trial. Mine was 8 hours away. You pay before they play. It is possible to recover fees, but in my case, you can't get blood from a turnip. You can, however, get satisfaction when the plaintiff turns out to be an idiot and a fraud. Of course the other side could challenge their "expertise", but if they have the credentials to prove it, who cares?

This was my experience from an on-going fraud, misrepresentation, and breech of contract case, but others may differ. The CPA is the only person who actually worked his tail off thus far in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back