my neighbor uses listening devices to listen to our conversations in our home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarsugar123

Please help me understand the law of privacy..my neighbor uses listening devices to listen to our conversations in our home and uses scanners to listen to our phone conversations. I know he does because he has told in-laws he has these items and everyone knows to try to watch their mouths. Just recently I was having a quiet conversation outside and the next day a friend questions the person I was talking to about our conversation. He was informed of the conversation by the neighbor. He has a 15 foot pole/antenna on the roof of his house and when questioned about it, he said that it was classified information and laughed. I need to know if this is legal and what I can do about it. And I definitely want it to be anonymous. I don't want to give my name to anyone or let the neighbor know it was me. Please help me understand my options of what I can do. Thank you.

Since laws vary by state, it is important that you post that information.

Per the forum rules:

(iv) Enter the state/country: Below the "title" field is a field for you to enter the state, country or jurisdiction that you are asking about. This is very important because the law varies from state to state in the US as it does provinces in Canada and in districts around the world from different countries.​

Please help me understand the law of privacy..my neighbor uses listening devices to listen to our conversations in our home and uses scanners to listen to our phone conversations. I know he does because he has told in-laws he has these items and everyone knows to try to watch their mouths.
Okay, so you do not KNOW he does this, you only know that someone said he told them he was doing this. This is either second or third hand rumor.

Are the people he told this to willing to relate that to the police? If so, call the police as it is likely unlawful if he is intentionally intercepting phone transmissions over the airwaves. And if they are cell phones, the equipment he is using is likely illegal.

I need to know if this is legal and what I can do about it. And I definitely want it to be anonymous. I don't want to give my name to anyone or let the neighbor know it was me. Please help me understand my options of what I can do. Thank you.
If you want to remain anonymous, don't expect the police to do much. Without a victim or a witness, the MOST they can do is ask the person if they are committing a crime. If they say, "No", then the police can ASK if they can look inside for any illegal equipment, but unless your local cops are really bored, they will likely not pursue it beyond the first question.

So, if you want the problem resolved, someone has to go on record.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back