Injured by a tanning bed! (not a joke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerGirl

Ok gentlemen, first time poster so here goes...

Yes, you read the title correctly. I was injured by a tanning bed! But my injury wasn't from tanning, but from the top of the bed quickly clamping down on my arm as I was closing it on me.

I realize this may get some laughs, but my injury was actually very serious. I had a friend take me to the ER right after due to severe hyper-extension of my arm. I still can't move my arm without pain even though it's been over a month!

You see the bed that injured me closes completely with no gap between the top and bottom portion of the bed. Most beds actually have a gap which I presume is for safety. Also on this bed the dampeners that normally would slow the bed as it closes, either weren't working properly, or simply dont' exist on this model. The top portion of the bed must weigh at least 500 lbs.

To close the bed you have to actually extend your left arm outside of the bed and pull the top part of the bed down on you. But the bed fell so quickly on my arm that I couldn't pull it back inside before it clamped down on me. I honestly almost passed out from the pain.

The worst part is that several months earlier I had a near miss experience at the exact same tanning salon, but in a different bed. I warned the manager and actually showed him how i just barely got my arm pulled back inside the bed before it crushed me. He agreed it appeared defective and said he would make sure it was fixed. Several weeks later I asked him if it was fixed and he said it was.

So it was a few months after all of that when I was actually injured by a different bed. Please don't laugh at me because I know this sounds silly but this bed really did hurt me badly. I'm upset because it seems they never actually fixed any of the beds or even make an attempt to remove the potential for injury.

So my question is, do I have a claim against the tanning salon? Or perhaps even the maker of the tanning bed? I could really use some advice on this. I haven't been tanning at that store since I was hurt. I did send the store a letter telling them what happened and all I got was a voicemail saying their maintenance man looked at the bed and said it "was fine". Thanks fellas for your advice and opinion on this! Muah! ;)

Yes. I told the manager right after I was hurt. He actually heard me scream in pain so he definately knew I was injured. But he didnt do anything. I then wrote the salon company a letter explaining what happened and all I got was a voicemail saying their maintnence man looked at the bed and said it was working fine. That's all the said. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back