Consumer Law, Warranties Martial arts contract seems fishy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbem1004

Hello to all who can help.

I live in PA. The contract is for a two month period with little leeway for cancellation. My job has decreased my hours and my finances are not stable my any means. I have contacted the company asking to cancel my contract due to my extreme financial hardships to which I received a decline of my request. I have asked for a little understanding from the company, but their record on the BBB is not good. What options to I have? I have only two ways to cancel which are moving and medical reasons and they say that medical reasons must be permanent. The verbage in this contract seems a bit unfair and feels like they are treading legal boundaries. ALso, there is a non-compete notice which states that the member or parent/guardian can't own, participate in, manage or otherwise being involved with another school either during or after the term.
I will not stay involved with this school or this instructor and I think it's my right to train at another school and own my own school some day, as that is the basis for capitalism, right? Is this contract fishy? Can someone help??????? Thanks!!!

Without looking into the specifics of the contract is hard to assess the situation. The issue here is that you signed the contract although you don't seem to agree with the language. Take your contract to a local employment attorney for a consultation and see what suggestions s/he has for you. Good Luck!

other info

I admit that I signed the contract, but after I looked at it, things didn't seem right. I was under the impression that the contract was for a year and he set it up for 2 after I signed it. Also, my finances are really unstable and I'm having trouble paying rent, much less pay this contract. The finance company is not working with me at all. My being upset with the contract is that there is no way spelled out that allows me to leave if experiencing financial hardship. That is my real concern.

I just feel stuck at this point and other employment opportunities aren't working out. I was trying to trim off things that weren't necessary and I ran into a wall with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back