Apartment Complex 60 Day Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

caius

Okay, so this is quite the interesting situation (for me at any rate). My previous apartment complex gave me a call today (I moved out two days ago) telling me that I will have to pay them two months rent. This was quite the surprise to me because I was under the impression that since I moved out, I stop paying them. I was wrong. At my apartment complex, apparently you need to provide them with a 60 day notice in writing that you are moving out, which is my problem. About 65-70 days ago I went into the apartment complex office to speak with a leasing agent about me moving out, and I informed them that I will be moving out when my lease is up and she said that she'd "put it in the computer", which she didn't.

Fast forward to today, I get a call saying "You didn't provide us with 60 days notice in writing, so you have to pay us for 2 mo (60 days) worth of rent". Well, this made me mad because I verbally informed them and the leasing agent didn't inform me that they need it in writing (I just found out today). When I was moving out, about a week before I was to move out, I went to the office and spoke with a different leasing agent who told me that they didn't have my notice on file but that's fine, just write up a notice and back date it to April 1 (I moved out on June 13th). So I listened and wrote the note. So today I get that call from the manager and she informs me that I'm in big trouble for back dating a letter, and I owe them that 2 months rent. So, any suggestions as to how to fight this? I do plan on taking them to court and my fiance's father is a contract lawyer so he's on this case also. Thanks!

It looks like you don't have a case here since you didn't follow procedure by giving the apartment complex leasing office your 60 day move out notice in writing. If stated in your lease agreement that you have to do it that way, you are SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back